Endless Summer Projects | Backyard Circus
Minted is the premier marketplace for independent design and art. They sell the best work of indie designers and artists as fine stationery, art, and party decor. Their newly-launched collection of birthday party invitations and party decor suites would be perfect for summer birthdays, fitting every theme from movie nights to pool parties!
Come one, come all to the Backyard Circus. Be mesmerized by stilt walking giants. Marvel as the man with an iron stomach swallows blades of steel. Watch the world’s tiniest dog whirl and twirl. She never gets dizzy.
Anyone with kids will tell you, some days life feels like a three ring circus. This summer, celebrate the spectacle with a backyard gathering where the kids show off their skills with stilt walking.
We made these stilts in an afternoon and they have been a highlight of summer. It’s a project that will require a trip to the hardware store, but it’s totally worth the extra effort.
1 1 1/4 pine dowel rod
2 5/16 x 5 1/2 inch carriage bolts
2 5/16 inch nuts
2 1/4 inch flat washers
5/16 inch drill bit
Socket with a 1/2 inch socket or open-ended wrench
1. Cut two 3 1/4 inch pieces of dowel. These are your foot rests.
2. Mark the center of each dowel. Drill a hole all the way through.
3. Place a carriage bolt in the hole. Tamp down on a hard surface to set it.
4. Drill a hole 9 inches from the bottom of each 2x2x8. This is where you’ll place the foot rest. You can actually choose any distance you’d like, but we found 9 inches from the ground was enough of a challenge to begin. You may want to consider a lower height for younger kids. At this time, you can also drill holes higher up the 2x2x8 so you can increase the height slightly as your stilt walker becomes more skilled.
5. Place the bolt extending from foot rest into the hole. Place the washer and nut on. Ratchet the nut so it’s nice and tight.
6. Trim the top of the 2x2x8 to the desired height. We based our measurement off our kids’ heights.
7. Place rubber caps on the base of the stilts. You can find rubber caps at your local big box retailer. Get the largest size they have.
9. The stilts are ready for the big top.
And don’t forget the other acts!
But wait! There’s even more on the midway! Don’t forget to check out all the circus goodness by the entire Endless Summer Projects team this week.
Lulu the Baker bakes up some tasty circus treats
Visit Madame Alexandra Hedin for the finest in circus wear this season
One look in Pars Caeli‘s crystal ball and you won’t be able to turn down her invitation
At This HeArt of Mine‘s hall of mirrors, don’t be surprised if it’s an endless party you see
Thank you for being supportive of our sponsors!